Spring Break and Breaking into Gardening


Spring Break has always been a time I felt little got accomplished due to half the town being away, so I decided to join them this year.  We spent a few days at Gulf Shores, Alabama.  The beach is beautiful there and with lots of great choices for good seafood, what more could you want?

While away, I spent time this week working on the two volunteer causes that I champion, Rotary International and The Boys & Girls Club of Hall County.  I am a Charter Member and Past President of the Rotary Club of Hall County and I'm about to start a term as Assistant District Governor.  While it feels good to be a part of something larger making a difference not only in my community, but the world, the main reason I do this is selfish.  The people I have met and befriended through both of these organizations are friends for life...just good folks who live daily by our Rotary motto, 'Service Above Self.'  I am Hotel Registration & Hospitality Chair for next year's Rotary District 6910 Conference at Jekyll Island.  I spent time talking to people at those hotels at Jekyll Island regarding rates and room blocks,  thinking I should have probably gone there for spring break for face to face talks.  As Sponsor Chair for our upcoming Annual Duck Derby May 4th, Boys & Girls Club of Hall County's biggest fundraiser, I have not only been working at selling ducks (chances to win prizes including $10,000 grand prize), but contacting board members letting them know how important it is we meet our goal and right now we're only about $10,000 short as to sponsorships.

I can hardly wait to get home and start on making my yard and porches look like spring.  My purple bearded irises started opening on Easter morning.  Having always been told it's not safe to put out annuals until mid April in our area, I'll wait a few more days before setting out impatiens and begonias. I can get started on my pots though.  Pretty pots of flowers are something you see on almost every porch in the south.  If I'm proud of how mine turn out, I'll take photos and share here.   One of my Realtor benefits is the ability to share articles like these below.  I love fresh horseradish, and I'm excited about growing my own this year.


Visit houselogic.com for more articles like this.

Copyright 2013 NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®



Comments

  1. I enjoy your posts, Kim. This is a good one. Just one warning--be careful with the horseradish. I love it, too, but I remember my parents telling stories about my grandmother in New York grinding the roots herself and wearing gloves in order to prevent burning. I think the fumes can be tough on the eyes, too. It's strong stuff, but so good on fresh seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to blogroll.
    Arizona Luxury Real Estate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts